Yah I know this is a cartoon blog, but let me indulge my music nerdery once a year, ok? Here, in no particular order, are my 5 favourite albums of 2011. Check the Grooveshark widget on the right for my fave tracks from each one.
1. St. Vincent: Strange Mercy. Super catchy and full of the most amazing contrasts. Annie Clark's a bit like wood-sprite driving a tank.
2. Cass McCombs: Wit's End. Really REALLY dark album. I'd be worried about the guy if he didn't release the breezy and upbeat Humor Risk a few months later.
3. Tune-Yards: Whokill. A bit of an acquired taste, like your first time biting into an olive.
4. Anna Calvi: Anna Calvi. Some of the biggest and most confident songwriting I've heard in ages. Plus she SHREDS!
5. Kurt Vile: Smoke Ring For My Halo. This one kinda peters out near the end, but the first half is so good that it makes up for it.